Drone hangar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stickers / Αυτοκόλλητα
by Admin Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:02 am

» EUROPE, UNITED KINGDOM, SCOTLAND, GLASGOW, BLAIRQUHOSH 2019-OCT-27
by ktRinity Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:36 pm

» EUROPE, UNITED KINGDOM, SCOTLAND, GLASGOW, CLYDESIDE, 2019-OCT-26
by WesternAussie Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:03 pm

» Μπορεί ένα Drone να κάνει ζημιά σε αεροπλάνο? / Can a drone damage a plane?
by ktRinity Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:00 pm

» Drone σε αεροπλάνο / Taking a Drone on a Plane
by ktRinity Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:24 pm

» EUROPE, GREECE, EPTANISA, LEFKADA, 2017-MAY-07
by ktRinity Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:33 pm

» Geofencing
by Admin Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:44 am

» EUROPE, GREECE, ATTICA, AIGALEO, 2019-OCT-13
by ktRinity Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:56 pm

» Drone Bags & Backpacks
by Admin Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:59 pm

Top posting users this week
No user

Most active topic starters
Admin
Drone σε αεροπλάνο / Taking a Drone on a Plane Vote_lcapDrone σε αεροπλάνο / Taking a Drone on a Plane Voting_barDrone σε αεροπλάνο / Taking a Drone on a Plane Vote_rcap 
ktRinity
Drone σε αεροπλάνο / Taking a Drone on a Plane Vote_lcapDrone σε αεροπλάνο / Taking a Drone on a Plane Voting_barDrone σε αεροπλάνο / Taking a Drone on a Plane Vote_rcap 
WesternAussie
Scout
Matty

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Drone hangar on your social bookmarking website

Drone σε αεροπλάνο / Taking a Drone on a Plane

Go down

Drone σε αεροπλάνο / Taking a Drone on a Plane Empty Drone σε αεροπλάνο / Taking a Drone on a Plane

Post by ktRinity Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:24 pm

Traveling with a drone isn’t as hard as you might think — but you do need to be properly prepared. Here are a few tips that cover everything from case suggestions to flight restrictions. Use this advice and you’ll have no problem getting through security in an orderly fashion.

Drone σε αεροπλάνο / Taking a Drone on a Plane Can-yo10

Carry-On Bags vs. Hard Shell Cases
Depending on the size and amount of gear you have for your drone, you’ll need to decide if you want to carry on the drone or check it in a hard shell case. Just like traveling with camera gear, it’s always best to keep things with you. A checked bag is always a risk. Even if it’s handled properly, there’s always a chance that the bag can get delayed or put on the wrong plane.

If you have a smaller drone like like a Phantom, there are bags designed for carry-on purposes. You just need to make sure that the bag fits in the overhead compartments or underneath your seat — this differs on every plane.

DJI actually has a hard shell backpack, but I’d actually advise against getting a bag with any type of branding. You want your bag to be as inconspicuous as possible. While airport security doesn’t care if your bag says DJI, thieves might. The hard shell backpacks are always uncomfortable and wear you down if you have to carry over long distances. I much prefer a soft bag for carrying long distance. Again, there is an official soft backpack for drones — but you can find all sorts of these bags online.

If you have a larger drone like a DJI Inspire 1, Yuneec Typhoon, or Freefly Alta, you’ll definitely want a rolling hard shell case to check the drone. The Inspire and Typhoon are borderline in size. They will fit in overhead compartments on larger planes, but they won’t come close in smaller planes. Rather than risk finding out at boarding time, just plan to check your drone. A hard shell case is your best form of protection when it comes to traveling with a drone. I once checked a semi-rugged case with padding, and still found that my baggage wasn’t handled properly.

The best way to travel is actually a combination of both. I always check the drone body, controller, and accessories. In my bag, I carry the drone batteries, as well as the camera gimbal and memory cards. Those are things I want to make sure don’t get tossed around below the plane.

LiPo bags
Also consider buying a LiPo Bag. A Lipo-Safe bag is useful for storage, travel and for charging Lipo batteries.
Check the extended article here.

Lithium-Ion Batteries
Rechargeable lithium ion batteries must always be carried in carry-on baggage. This includes your drone batteries. Do not check your batteries with the drone. It’s also recommended that you protect the battery terminals; you can simply cover them with tape.

Drone σε αεροπλάνο / Taking a Drone on a Plane Lipo_b10

Drone σε αεροπλάνο / Taking a Drone on a Plane Batter10

You’ll need to verify with the airline, but the standard regulations limit passengers to only two lithium ion batteries over 100 watt hours (Wh). There is no limit for most batteries under 100 watt hours.

Drone σε αεροπλάνο / Taking a Drone on a Plane Lithiu10

This is why you’ll see manufacturers like DJI producing two types of batteries. For the Inspire 1 series, DJI produces the TB-47 battery that has 99.90 Wh, and the TB-48 which has 129.96 Wh. The FAA restricts passengers to two TB-48 batteries, but they can carry several TB-47 batteries. You can also combine the type and carry two TB-48 batteries at four TB-47 batteries.

New batteries should have the watt hour marked on them. If for some reason they don’t, you can calculate the watt hours by multiplying the battery voltage by the Amp hours (Ah).

For a more detailed look, check out this video from Tom’s Tech Time.

Tips for the Security Line
When you’re going through security with your drone in tow, it will always benefit you to place batteries in their own bin, just like you do with your laptop. There is a very good chance that airport security will pull your batteries aside to do an inspection. The more open you are about putting them in their own bin, the faster you can get to your flight.

Drone σε αεροπλάνο / Taking a Drone on a Plane Xray10

In my experience, the only question I am usually asked is, “What are these batteries for?” I’ve never had to defend the Watt hours or anything of that nature. That said, I still know everything in my bag.

Take a Repair Kit and Extra PropellersThere’s really nothing worse than traveling across the world only to realize you don’t have enough propellers. In case a prop is damaged during travel, or even worse, in a drone crash, <strong>you’ll want to make sure you have extra propellers to get you back in the air</strong>. For extra protection, keep the propellers in their original packaging if they’re new.

Drone σε αεροπλάνο / Taking a Drone on a Plane Spare_10

In addition to having extra propellers, if you do manage to crash your drone, you’ll want to have the repair tools handy. That way if you need to make any adjustments or open up the drone to remove some sand, dust, or debris — you’ll be good to go.

Original Article

ktRinity

Message Count : 13
Registered at : 2019-10-11

Back to top Go down